Three Galva families were displaced New Year’s Eve after a fire in an apartment building.

Three Galva families were displaced New Year’s Eve after a fire in an apartment building.

The Galva Fire Department was called to 104 N.W. Third St. at about 11:45 Sunday  night when tenants of the downstairs apartment heard a smoke detector going off in the upstairs apartment. When firemen arrived, smoke was showing.

Galva Fire, Bishop Hill Fire and Clover Fire were all on the scene in the frigid temps. Fire Chief Denny Tarleton said when the representative from 1-800-BOARDUP arrived, he noted the temperature was minus 21 degrees in his truck without the wind chill.

Chief Tarleton said he believes the fire was electrical and started in a ceiling fan and followed the floor to the upstairs.

Jeff Hatch occupied the downstairs back apartment, which did not receive any damage.

The upstairs, occupied by Anna Weetch, received heavy damage in the living room with smoke damage throughout. Weetch also lost one of her cats in the fire, but two survived. She was not home at the time.

Roger McCurdy occupied the downstairs front apartment and received water damage. Firemen were able to cover his furniture. 

The residents all have had to find a place to stay as there is no water, electricity or heat in the building. Chief Tarleton said the apartment building was insured and owned by the late Derrick Glisan.

It was about 3 a.m when firemen left the scene. Stark County Ambulance stood by at the scene.