Police not releasing names of individuals in car, investigation continues

Galva Police Chief Kraig Townsend issued a press release Monday morning addressing a car/train collision Friday afternoon at the crossing near Washington Park.

"On Jan. 5, 2018, at approximately 4:39 p.m., the Galva Police, along with Stark County Medic Ambulance, and the Galva and Bishop Hill Fire Departments were dispatched to the railroad crossing at Southwest Sixth Avenue in Galva for a passenger car vs. Amtrak collision.

Preliminary findings are that a passenger car was traveling southbound on Southwest Sixth Avenue and attempted to drive around the railroad gates as a westbound freight train was clearing the crossing. The Amtrak was also westbound on the other set of tracks. The railroad gates were working correctly, as well as the Amtrak warning horns.

The passenger car was struck in the engine compartment and pushed at least 75 feet west of the crossing. The car suffered extensive damage to the front end.

The occupants got out of the car and left the scene prior to the police arrival. The data from the train indicated it was traveling 76 miles per hour at the time of the collision. The speed limit for trains at this location is 79 miles per hour.

The names of those in the vehicle are not being released at this time and the accident remains under investigation."

Fire Chief Denny Tarleton said the Galva and Bishop Hill Fire Departments were called to the scene and remained there until about 7 p.m. He said the firefighters picked up car parts and helped clean up the debris. Tarleton added his department received another call and only he and another fireman remained on the scene from 6:13 to 7 p.m.


Second call for fire department Friday

The Galva and Bishop Hill Fire Departments also were called to State Bank of Toulon Friday at 6:13 p.m. for a smell of gas.

Galva Fire Chief Denny Tarleton said Ameren was called and shut off the gas until the problem, which was an underground gas line leaking, was fixed.