Heritage House Museum and McsBurg School House
Participate in Holiday Home Tour

 The Heritage House

Museum and McsBurg

School House are another

of the stops on the RMH

Foundation’s Holiday Tour

of Homes coming up on

Sunday, December 10th.

They will be open between

1:00 and 4:00 p.m.

The house was built in

1874 by Ambrose Hopkinson,

a brick mason. It is a

fine example of mid-Victorian

architecture of the

Italianate style with

brackets at the top of both

stories, arched windows,

bay windows, pillared

porch and stained glass

door light.

In 1906, the house was

sold to Frank Leingang

and it is thought that

many major renovations

occurred to the house

while in possession of the

Leingangs. What is now

the dining room was originally

the kitchen with the

patterned oak flooring in

that room and the sitting

room plus the pillar division

between the two

rooms possibly done at

the same time. The present

kitchen was originally

a porch.

Sometime between 1936

and 1950, the house was

converted into a rooming

house and divided into a

number of rooms, evidence

of which is still visible

on the sitting room

floor. A fire seriously damaged

the house in 1972.

Thanks to several donations

from generous individuals,

the house was

purchased by Richland

Heritage Museum Foundation

in 1987 for $8,500.

Many volunteers put

much time and effort into

restoring the house both

inside and out and the

renovations took approximately

4 ó years to complete.

Next door to the Heritage

House is the Mcs-

Burg School House. This

school is around 142 years

old and was originally located

about 4 miles north

of Olney. It has been completely

furnished with period

pieces, including

desks, blackboard, book

cases, stove and a recitation


The house and school

will be decorated for

Christmas at the time of

the tour. Refreshments

and entertainment will be

free of charge at the museum

during the tour times.